In 1956, a small group of people in the Crieve Hall community were called to form a church to serve the neighborhood. They went door-to-door, inviting others to join them in their exciting new venture. The first worship service of Crievewood United Methodist Church took place on September 27 in the home of D.A. and Nell Majors with 75 people in attendance. Almost six weeks later, on November 4, the church was officially organized at a quarterly conference, with 50 charter members.
That same month, the present building site at the corner of Hogan Road and Marchant Drive was purchased. A year later, the church having grown quickly to 217 members moved its worship services to Crieve Hall School.
Construction on the lower floor of the church began in November of 1957, and in September of 1960, a temporary sanctuary was built. Currently, this space serves as our Fellowship Hall. Construction of the present sanctuary began in January, 1965, and was completed a year later. Eventually, five rooms were added to the Sunday school wing, and the building was complete.
In 2014, Crievewood underwent a major renovation project to update the existing space and add an elevator.
For more information about our church and the 2014 building renovation, watch our It’s About Time video.